Transportation Specialist Services
TST BOCES offers several transportation related options to eight subscribing school districts (Dryden, Groton, Ithaca, Lansing, Newark Valley, Newfield, South Seneca and Trumansburg). Our Transportation Specialist Services include New York State mandated courses and training, as well as supplemental activities for all transportation providers.
New York State Mandated Services
- 30-hour basic course for school bus drivers*
- 10-hour basic course for monitors/attendants*
- Two 2-hour safety refreshers each year*
- 5-hour pre-service training for school bus drivers**
- 3-hour pre-service training for school bus monitors/attendants**
*Training must be conducted by or directly supervised by a School Bus Driver Instructor (SBDI), a certification granted by the NYSED.
**SBDI certification is not required for pre-service training, but an SBDI must document that the training was completed.
- 10-hour advanced course for veteran school bus drivers (must be conducted by or directly supervised by a School Bus Driver Instructor)
- Wheelchair securement training
- Special education series for transporters; examples of topics include:
- Overview of special needs
- CSEs and IEPs
- Autism spectrum
- Sign language
- Serious emotional disturbance
- Downs syndrome
- Provide new laws and regulations booklets annually for each transportation employee
- Organize and coordinate local Transportation Supervisor meetings during the school year
- Share information from state and national pupil transportation organizations with supervisors
- Conduct or arrange periodic training sessions as needs are identified (e. g., mirror adjustment, teacher training, child safety restraint securement, reasonable suspicion training, student management)
- Consultation, information, research for districts regarding safety or related transportation issues (e. g., transporting oxygen on buses, epi pen use on buses, many wheelchair securement questions, accident reporting, safe bus stops)
- Short term 19-A Certified Examiner services***
- Host and help coordinate annual Central New York Learning Day
- Host quarterly meetings of school bus driver trainers
***Article 19-A Certified Examiner is a certification granted by the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles.
Bus Driver/Transportation Training
607-257-1551, ext. 6007
Bus Driver Physical Performance Testing
607-257-1551, ext. 6007