• All minors who become 6 years of age on or before December 1 in any school year are required to attend upon full-time instruction. All minors are required to remain in attendance during any given school year until the last day of session in the school year in which they turn 16 years of age except as otherwise provided in EL §3205(3).  In other words, young adults who turn sixteen on or after July 1 must continue full-time instruction through the following June.
  • The substantial equivalent of 180 days of instruction shall be provided each school year. In the event that less than 80% of the coursework planned for any quarter has been completed, a written explanation is required.
    • Grades K-6: 900 hours of instruction per school year (approximately 225 hours per quarter)
    • Grades 7-12: 990 hours of instruction per school year (approximately 250 hours per quarter)
  • An annual assessment is due at the time of filing the fourth quarterly report. Students completing their education through home instruction do not earn an accredited “diploma” but may pursue a Letter of Equivalency. Also, please include the following information on every document that you submit:
    • Your child’s name, grade, and physical address
    • Name of School District in which you reside
    • Parent or guardian name(s), phone number(s) and email address(es)
    • Heading to identify type of document (Letter of Intent, IHIP, 1st Quarterly Report, etc.)

You are responsible for keeping copies of ALL paperwork sent to this office. If your paperwork will be late, please notify us via email or with a phone call to 607-257-1555, ext. 7203.

Graduating from Home Instruction

Once your child turns 16 and completes that year of schooling, it is your choice whether to continue submitting paperwork or not, even if he/she continues with home instruction. However, be aware that if sometime in the future you request a Superintendent’s Letter of Equivalency for college OR dual credit at a community college such as TC3, or for Tuition Assistance Program applications, regular submission of complete documentation as per the Home Instruction regulation is required for all four years of high school: four IHIPs, all quarterly reports, and four standardized tests.

Keep in mind that online programs may affect post-secondary education plans of your student(s).  For more information on this, please visit our Transcripts Page.

Superintendent’s Letter of Equivalency

If you wish for your child to receive a Letter of Equivalency, contact the Supervisor of External Programs early in the spring of your child’s last year of high school. If you would like to review your home instruction records to ensure you are prepared to request the Letter of Equivalency, please make an appointment with the Supervisor of External Programs. It is strongly recommended that a transcript review be conducted in the fall of 11th grade to ensure all coursework is on track for earning a Letter of Equivalency.

To receive a Letter of Equivalency, you will also need a completed transcript form. If this office has received documentation for everything, the file will be sent to the superintendent along with a recommendation regarding the Letter of Equivalency. It is the superintendent who is ultimately responsible for writing the Letter of Equivalency.

Annual Assessments

  • Children in grades K-3 do not need standardized tests. You or someone you designate may write a “Narrative Assessment” instead.
  • Children in grades 4-8 must take standardized tests at least every other year (or every year if you wish.) On alternate years, you may choose to have a narrative assessment completed. For example, if you do a narrative for grade 3, then you must give a standardized test for grade 4.
  • Children in grades 4-8, may be able to test in their school district of residence, depending upon the district’s Board of Education Policy. Contact the school in the fall regarding testing dates for math and English language arts.
  • Once testing has occurred, send a copy of official test results as soon as possible. Only the official results that are sent from the testing service will be accepted as evidence of testing.
  • New York State Education Law requires that students in grades 9-12 be tested every year. It is recommended that a New York State certified teacher administer the test, although the parent may do so. You are responsible for purchasing the test and arranging for it to be given. Allow ample time for ordering and shipping.
  • Students planning on furthering their education may need to take college entrance exams. Students in grades 10 or 11 can take the PSAT in October. Sign up with your child’s school counselor. Students in grades 11-12 may also take the ACT, SAT, or SAT II from College Board.