Career Planning and Exploration
- www.onetcenter.org – a national source for occupational information featuring O*Net Ability Profiler, O*Net Interest Profiler, O*Net Work Importance Profiler
- www.careeronestop.org Career One Stop – Learn about careers, fill out self- assessments, find career information, and locate career resources and jobs in your area.
- www.careerzone.ny.gov Career Zone – great site for building a portfolio, interest profiler, work importance inventory, job zones (level of training). www.mynextmove.org – O-NET 60 question interest inventory available here, along with other helpful assessments.
- www.educationplanner.org One stop career and college planning website for students, parents and counselors.
- www.ncwd-youth.info/career-planning-begins-with-assessment – a resource for multiple audiences within the workforce development system. Information on; selecting career-related assessments, legal issues & ethical considerations.
- www.myfuture.com – career, college and military information and articles.
- www.jobsmadereal.com – videos and job information, searchable by personality traits, salary, outlook and education.
- www.jumpstart.org – a resource for providing financial literacy materials, assessments, lesson plans for students in grades k-12
Disability Awareness, Disclosure, and Rights
- www.fliconline.org – Finger Lakes Independence Center services include advocacy, information and referral, peer counseling, benefits advisement, accessibility consultation and more.
- www.ncwd-youth.info/411-on-disability-disclosure -This workbook helps young people make informed decisions about whether or not to disclose their disability and understand how that decision may impact their education, employment, and social lives.
- www.racker.org – Racker offers a range of services including: preschool special education, clinical therapies, mental health treatment programs, residential opportunities, and community support services. We serve people of all ages from newborns to senior citizens with diverse strengths and needs.
- www.supac.org – SUPAC provides parents of children with disabilities information, resources, and strategies on a variety of special education and disability-related topics to assist them in understanding their child’s disability, the education process, and their rights within that process.
- www.pacer.org/ – A national parent center that provides training and assistance to parents of children and young adults with all disabilities.
- www.thinkcollege.net/index.php – College options for people with Intellectual Disabilities.
- www.acces.nysed.gov/vr – ACCES-VR assists individuals with disabilities to achieve and maintain employment and to support independent living through training, education, rehabilitation, and career development.
- www.opwdd.ny.gov -The New York State Office for People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) is responsible for coordinating services for more than 128,000 New Yorkers with developmental disabilities, including intellectual disabilities, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, autism spectrum disorders, and other neurological impairments.
- www.tcatbus.com provide 2 services for people with disabilities. Gadabout is a nonprofit transportation service for older and disabled residents of Tompkins County. ADA Paratransit is a specialized, door-to-door transportation service for people who are not able to ride the fixed-route transit system because of a disability.
- www.bls.gov/ooh/ – Occupational Outlook Handbook with a student portal (www.bls.gov/k12) for exploring career information, with online games, quizzes, and classroom activities.
- www.labor.ny.gov/youth – developed for youth by NYS Department of Labor to provide information to help prepare them for their future and careers such as; how to obtain working papers, prepare for a job interview and create a responsible on-line profile.
- www.snagajob.com – a search engine with over 250,000 part-time jobs. Useful tips about job applications, interviews, resumes and current employment trends are available.
- www.AskJAN.org- Free, expert, and confidential guidance on workplace accommodations and disability employment issues.
- www.wrightslaw.com/info/ferpa.index.htm-FERPA- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
- www.archives.nysed.gov/a/records/mr_pub_ed1_part5.html -It should be the policy of the school district/BOCES to maintain student records according to the Records Rention and Disposition Schedule.
- www.labor.ny.gov.workerprotection/laborstandards/workprot/fedproc/shtm-All employers must follow the guidelines in regard to prohibitive occupation as set forth by the US Department of Labor
- www.mypathny.org A Tool to help all New York State students and young adults with disabilities who are ready to move from school and other places to a paying job.
Tompkins County Resources
- tompkinscountyny.gov/mh Tompkins County Office of Mental Health provides assessment, counseling, treatment, and crisis services to adults, children and families with mental health impairments, on a sliding scale basis. EMERGENCY AND CRISIS — FOR 24-HOUR HELP Call the Crisis Phone Line, Suicide Prevention and Crisis Service – (607) 272-1616.
- tompkinscountyny.gov/wfny Tompkins County Workforce NY provides a convenient, one-stop shopping approach for accessing employment-related services for businesses, workers, and jobseekers in Tompkins County.
- www.learning-web.org Assists young people with their journey to adulthood. Their program foundation is the community-based, mentor-apprentice/ hands-on learning experience — a model that connects young people with adults, sparks a passion, helps youth learn life skills and envision a rich future; all helping youth evolve into engaged citizens who value themselves and their community.
- www.challengeworkforcesolutions.org – Challenge Workforce Solutions is a nonprofit, vocational services organization that offers opportunities and support services to individuals who face barriers to employment. Our mission is about helping the people we support to reach their full potential and achieve the highest possible level of personal success.
- www.tcatbus.com – Public bus route and schedule information.