Nurse Assisting and Health Occupations
This class provides theory and practical experience for the care of individuals in hospitals and long term care facilities. The students are introduced to multiple nursing care procedures, ethical and legal aspects of health care, basic knowledge of body structure and functions, fundamentals of health promotion, and common signs of health alteration and illness.
Students will have the opportunity to earn a NYS license as a Certified Nursing Assistant, National First Aid and CPR Certification, and Home Health Aide credentials upon successful completion of this program. There is also a clinical component in area health care settings providing care and knowledge acquired in class.
Learn to assist patients in nursing homes, hospitals, and private homes through on-going clinical experiences.
• Body structures and functions
• Common signs of illness
• Anatomy and physiology
• Legal and ethical responsibilities
• Medical terminology
• Personal health and wellness
• Direct patient care
• CPR and first aid
• Basic nursing procedures
• Nutritional and environmental needs of
• Pediatrics, elderly, disabled, and
• Clinical Rotations
Students are eligible to earn up to nine college credits from Tompkins Cortland Community College.
3 Concurrent Enrollment Credits from TC3 — HLTH 104 (Medical Terminology)
3 Concurrent Enrollment Credits from TC3 — HLTH 205 (First Aid and Safety Education)
3 Concurrent Enrollment Credits from TC3 — HLTH 206 (Personal Health)
• Excellent daily attendance is required for students to attain mandatory clinical hours to earn certifications associated with this program
• Communicate verbally and in writing
• Strictly maintain confidential information
• Be able to lift 25 lbs.
• Cope with bodily fluids and
• Maintain composure in difficult situations
• Adhere to required dress code
• Be sensitive to others’ needs and feelings
• Attentive to details
• Work in close proximity with people
• Communicate with a person more than
6 feet away
• Follow multi-step directions
• Stand for prolong periods of time
• Certified Nursing Assistant
• National First Aid and CPR Certification
• Home Health Aide Certification
• National Health Care Association
Phlebotomy Technician Certification