Culinary Brochure Click here!
Learn cooking techniques, safety standards, nutrition basics, and equipment use through actual work experiences in a kitchen. While operating the Horizon Cafe, students will learn short order and quantity cooking, ordering, menu preparation, and customer service. Breads, pastries, cakes, soups, salads, and entrees are included in menus selected and prepared by students.
Students also have opportunities do internships in culinary arts-related businesses. The internship opportunities provide valuable networking opportunities for the students.
One credit of Integrated Math and one credit of Integrated Science will be earned at the end of this two-year curriculum.
• Health, sanitation, and safety
• Menu planning
• Food preparation
• Purchasing and inventory control
• Care and use of equipment and utensils
• Banquet preparation
• Dining room service procedures
• Production cooking
• Cafe` Management
• Baking and pastries
• Customer service and hospitality
Students are eligible to earn up to four college credits from Tompkins Cortland Community College.
- SUNY Cobleskill
- Bryant & Stratton College
- Tompkins Cortland Community College
Career Opportunities Can Include:
- Pastry Chef
- Prep Cook
- Dining Room Manager
- Short Order Cook
- Assistant Chef
- Assistant Restaurant Manager
- Restaurant Owner
NYS Area Colleges with Related Majors:
• Communicate verbally and in writing
• Adhere to required dress code
• Maintain good personal hygiene and
• Be able to lift 25 lbs.
• Work individually and as a team member
• Stand for prolong periods of time
• Communicate with people at least 10
• Serve patrons courteously
• Able to transition quickly from one task
• Follow multi-step tasks and execute
with minimal support
• Tolerate noise in a busy,